Slayer Rigging

Yak talk here... rigging, transport, repairs, comparisons, etc

Moderators: HERZOG, RedHook, FooeyFish

Slayer Rigging

Postby NjTexan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:42 pm

So I'm going to inflict y'all with the rigging I'm doing on my Slayer 14.5.
First thanks to everyone that shared ideas on how they rigged their yaks. I'm sure you'll recognize I "borrowed" freely from thos that have gone before me.
I learned on my first yak that like Chris C said "what looks good in the garage may be horrible out on the water" so you'll notice I taped stuff on, sat in the seat in both positions, made believe I was paddling, and got funny looks from the neighbors while sitting in the yak on the trailer and casting to and fro around the yard.

First thing I did was replace the screws holding the center hatch down with bar nuts that I got from Lowe's. The stems on the bar nuts are just steel, so I coated them with anti-sieze compound that I had laying around. I think Autozone sells it in one of those little squeeze packs for like a buck.

Witty Signature Coming Soon
NjTexan
State of Texas kayak fisherman

Re: Slayer Rigging

Postby SLAMMERS » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Nice! Im trying to decide how I want to rig mine. Need a few more trips to dial it in.
SLAMMERS
Central Texas kayak fisherman

Location: SOUTH AUSTIN/ Diablo Paddlesports Chupacabra/ Native Slayer 14

Postby NjTexan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Oh yeah...anyone else wanting to put Slayer rigging stuff on here please do.
So After a trip to both Nordstroms and Macy's looking at purses I'm back at it.
Yes I found a nice black leather one that has room for 3 Plano boxes.

Fish Finder mounted to a piece of nylon like cutting board that came from Walmart. I know it looks cheesey but I'm shortly going to upgarade the FF and didn't want to drill holes for one I know I'm not keeping. Used more bar nuts into those special 6 dollar each slide track nuts from Native. Notch is cut out to keep the transducer custom PVC mounting tube from swinging back up.

Used 1/4" carriage bolts with wing nuts to hold the PVC so it would be easy to loosen and swing up or down.
NjTexan

Postby DirtyMarcus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 pm

NjTexan wrote:I taped stuff on, sat in the seat in both positions, made believe I was paddling, and got funny looks from the neighbors while sitting in the yak on the trailer and casting to and fro around the yard.

Man I cracked up just picturing you doing this. Why does that hatch have the screw things on it? I guess I need to see a picture of the entire yak to figure it out.
DirtyMarcus
Destroyer of catfish

Postby NjTexan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:49 am

DirtyMarcus wrote:
NjTexan wrote:I taped stuff on, sat in the seat in both positions, made believe I was paddling, and got funny looks from the neighbors while sitting in the yak on the trailer and casting to and fro around the yard.

Man I cracked up just picturing you doing this. Why does that hatch have the screw things on it? I guess I need to see a picture of the entire yak to figure it out.

That hatch would be way more convienent with hinges and one screw or even better with some of those fancy Zeus 1/4 turn fasteners. It came stock with phillips screws. My battery is going to end up under it and probably an extra jacket or rain gear. I didn't want to have to carry a screw driver to get into it. I'm not sure why Native didn't make it differently ??

Yeah I felt a little silly casting in the driveway and play paddling, but I've come to accept that genius isn't always recognized by everyone. [smilie=dunno.gif]

I remember too well mounting things on the old Ride I had that I thought would be great, then after one trip taking it back off and welding the holes I'd made. I'm really trying to minimize that on this boat.

Crate finished except for cutting off excess bolt lengths.

Elastic cords I sewed into loops then mounted on the rod holders to keep the rods in the holders. Not so much for in case the boat flips, more so every time I go under a tree limb I don't have to panic about the rod snagging, getting lifted out of the holder and ending up overboard.

Cord wrapped around reel

NjTexan

Postby gazn357 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Milk crate done...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Native Firebrick Red Slayer 12
Native Lizard Lick Slayer 13 Propel
gazn357

Postby gazn357 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 pm

STS in and ready to GO!! [smilie=applause.gif]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Native Firebrick Red Slayer 12
Native Lizard Lick Slayer 13 Propel
gazn357

Postby bassTaco » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Love the red color on that slayer! In fact, I have always liked Native's red color tone. Great looking kayak. Hopefully will get a chance to see it in person soon.
Rick M.
2010 WS Commander 120 in Sienna color
bassTaco

Postby thehooligan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Chuck, have you got that mean lean fishing machine out yet? What a great looking boat!
"Does not fish well with others"
Current "Godfather" of the White Boot Mafia of Town Lake
"Lime Ride 11.5"
Kent Meadows
thehooligan
2013 KING of the lake
2013 KING of the lake

Return to Kayak Shop