Rigging the Slayer Propel

Yak talk here... rigging, transport, repairs, comparisons, etc

Moderators: HERZOG, RedHook, FooeyFish

Rigging the Slayer Propel

Postby AustinHooker » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:10 pm

I kind of dreamed about it and obsessed about it and made my mind up Thursday night. Left work early on Friday and hit ACK, no second guessing or wondering, just "Hi, I'll take one of these, in lizard lick, is it in the warehouse and when can I have it?" ACK got it in from their warehouse on Saturday and installed 4 flush mount rod holders behind the seat because I really like that layout on my Manta Ray, and don't really care for crates. Also had ACK install the anchor trolley (because their costs for installation are insanely cheap, so why not?) Since I didn't want any issues with messing up the rudder, or having to worry about carrying a heavy boat, I opted for the C-Tug cart, and it works great and the color compliments the boat.

They call me on Saturday to let me know if was ready and I picked it up first thing Sunday when they opened. I was spending the weekend with my boys so didn't spend much time on the boat, only rigging was installing the front hatch cover and rearranging the bungies in the rear well the way I like them. I debated my lighting options for a while and decided that I'd rather have green LEDs, mainly because my blue LEDs are on white strips, which would look like crap, even thought the lights might be brighter. I had 24" strips on my Manta Ray and noticed that I was always trying to lean forward to see the lit up areas under the boat, because the lights were all up front. For the Slayer, I decided to install 48" light strips on each side, which brings the lights back almost to the cockpit. Got the LEDs soldered up and ready for install on Sunday.

Out the door early on Monday to work all day in San Antonio, made it to Cabela's about 330. I bought a Hummingbird 597DI, I guess it was originally $650, now lists for $599 and was on sale for $419, after my coupons, rewards and gift certs it was $310 out the door, I figured it was the most bang for the buck and it has the DI like Herzy said I needed to win tournaments.

Home around 5 pm and I'm ready to start rigging the boat, but it's getting dark and I happen to live in an apartment. So I raced around to get as much daylight as I could and finished installing everything in the dark by 7 pm.

48" of LEDs

I used a lighted toggle switch which is kinda cool

You can see the power cable and transducer cable coming out of the grommet (Hobie) to the right, after debating where my paddle was going to be stored and how I wanted things placed, I decided to do what most do and mount the FF on the right rail up front.

The battery is located in the front hatch, instead of making a box or anything for it, I just used velcro to attach it to the wall of the well, easy in and out and it holds it securely in place (power cabling also run through a Hobie grommet into the hull. I need to do a little bit of tidying up of the wires in the hull, and work in a fusible link somewhere, but everything is currently functional and the way I want it. There's still another circuit available on the switch, so I still may do some cockpit lights later (although they always just blinded me in the Manta Ray, maybe installed below the seat they won't blind me).

Tomorrow, after a few hours of work, I'm heading by ACK to have them rivet in a keeper system for paddle, it'll lay flush against the right side pretty well and shouldn't interfere with the fish finder or rod holder. I'll also be picking up a ram ball mounting system for the FF head unit. I'll try to post up better pictures in the light when I get the chance. Tomorrow afternoon will be its maiden voyage on Pflugerville so I can see how to manage grass n stuff, then on to bigger n better water.
Last edited by AustinHooker on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Nickels

I strive for a world in which a chicken can cross the road without having to justify its intentions.
AustinHooker
State of Texas kayak fisherman

Re: Rigging the Slayer Propel

Postby ChrisCoufal » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Congrats Tim!!!!
ChrisCoufal
2011 KATS Supporting Member

Postby HERZOG » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:02 pm

That's pretty awesome! Can't wait to see her in person.

On a side note. We just don't see enough boat rigging threads on AKF anymore. I always get a kick out of reading them and they never get old. I used to spend hours and hours on all the various forums reading all the threads and getting ideas. So thank you for posting this up. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out
2013 KATS Classic Champion
2013 KBF Texas Open Champion

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

HERZOG

Postby ChrisPearce » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:03 am

+1 on what Ryan said. Great job!

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3.
(a.k.a. FJCruisin)
2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12- Ivory Dune
2014 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Lizard Lick
ChrisPearce
2011 KATS Supporting Member

Postby DirtyMarcus » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:39 am

Sweet man, pretty sure we saw them working on it saturday. The whole time i was thinking "that lucky SOB" lol. Pedals really are a game changer. I fought it and convinced myself I didnt need them all last season. After using the wife Mariner in the heavy winds during the santa claus classic, I folded like a book. If you like fishing in the wind, you will love it. That color is sick, my wife saw the blue one and wants one now too. [smilie=doh.gif] It looks like it is setup really well. I can't wait to see it on the water. I'd like to see a short term and long term review on the c-tug cart too.
DirtyMarcus
Destroyer of catfish

Postby AustinHooker » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:31 am

DirtyMarcus wrote:Sweet man, pretty sure we saw them working on it saturday. The whole time i was thinking "that lucky SOB" lol. Pedals really are a game changer. I fought it and convinced myself I didnt need them all last season. After using the wife Mariner in the heavy winds during the santa claus classic, I folded like a book. If you like fishing in the wind, you will love it. That color is sick, my wife saw the blue one and wants one now too. [smilie=doh.gif] It looks like it is setup really well. I can't wait to see it on the water. I'd like to see a short term and long term review on the c-tug cart too.

I always wondered why Autumn was in the Mariner and not you, that really made me doubt my decision a bit, glad to know you support the pedal power. I'm looking forward to not having to fish with a paddle in my lap all the time and not having to constantly try to make awkward one handed corrections while fishing. Also looking forward to higher seating and being in a much better position to go from seated to standing if needed. Beau and I headed east for that tournament, and paddling back to the west as that front was coming in was killer. Wind at Bastrop earlier this year caused me to call it quits a couple hours early in two tournaments, so I'm sure this will alleviate a lot of that issue. Also looking forward to having a dry ride again, current boat gets very wet in the cockpit.

I'm still up in the air about the flush mounts, on the Manta Ray there is more flat deck space, on the Slayer the curves start earlier so the mounts are a lot tighter together, not sure how the rods are going to sit and I'll have to be a lot more careful with the tips to avoid tangling. Also didn't find and flat deck space to put in a flush scotty mount for the visicarb, gotta figure that out eventually, for now it can sit in one of the flush mounts. I also used the heck out of deck cleats on my old boat when I didn't want to mess with the anchor trolley, but ACK only has the large cleats, so I need to hit up somewhere else for a couple of small ones.
Tim Nickels

I strive for a world in which a chicken can cross the road without having to justify its intentions.
AustinHooker

Postby Plastic Skipper » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:02 am

Get a track mount scotty adaptor and put tge light on the slayers tracking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Native Watercraft
Bending Branches
Plastic Skipper

Postby B.O.B » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:10 am

Sweet boat man. Visicarb has a light that will mount on track no adaptor needed easy on and off. Got mine at ACK.
B.O.B
Austin kayak fisherman
Austin kayak fisherman

Postby gazn357 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:18 am

Looks like we both got Lizard Lick... nice color. Looking forward to more pictures. Going to move my FF to right side as well. To far forward when using short rails up front. Feedback on C-Tug would be appreciated. have bought two different carts now and don't care for either...

danny
Native Firebrick Red Slayer 12
Native Lizard Lick Slayer 13 Propel
gazn357
Central Texas kayak fisherman

Postby AustinHooker » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:45 am

gazn357 wrote:Looks like we both got Lizard Lick... nice color. Looking forward to more pictures. Going to move my FF to right side as well. To far forward when using short rails up front. Feedback on C-Tug would be appreciated. have bought two different carts now and don't care for either...

danny

That's cool, I wasn't sure if anyone else out there was in a Slayer yet. I haven't seen any good use for the short rails up front yet, there's too much going on with the drive and the pedals for anything to be mounted. I did notice that there's room to lay rods on either side of the drive and still pedal, so maybe some kind of post to rest the rods against so they don't accidentally slide over into the pedaling area. I've never really used carts before but I imagine they're all pretty awkward and a pain to use, this one is no different. I guess it's good because it's not based on posts going up through the scupper holes, so you don't have to lift the boat up or flip it over to get the cart set. It's pretty handy to have the straps on it but the lock on the strap sucks, it really takes 3 hands to get it tight, and I've only got two. Still, I can mount the cart while the boat is sitting on my bed extender, then unload it pretty easy, and when I'm not using it it fits in my back tankwell pretty easily. Apparently is breaks down into lots of small parts really easily, but I haven't had a need for that. Quality wise its top notch, heavy plastic, good wheels and rolls like a dream.

I guess this can be a combination rigging/review thread. Maiden voyage was at Pflugerville where it's always windy and weedy. Opting for the front hatch cover was a good idea because there's a lot of water coming over in heavy wind/chop. Obviously its great in the wind overall, however, the drive is quickly defeated in the weeds. So I found my self paddling in high winds, surprisingly it wasn't too bad at all, even with my relatively short paddle. There's also only so much wind the drive can overcome, at some point you can't pedal to maintain position and it's best to just anchor up and stop fighting it. I pedalled all over Pflugerville checking out the bottom structure, no fish, it's typically windswept and barren for me anyways. After Pflugerville I headed to Decker and found Lammers rig in the parking lot, he told me where he was and I made it over to him in just a few minutes, all while sipping a cold beverage. It was pretty sweet. Spent 4 hours on Decker and never had to touch the paddle, easy to keep position with just the drive. Spent yesterday on the bird, launched Fiesta Gardens at 9, out at 4. Pedalled all over, down to the dam and up to Barton Creek, it was pretty effortless. Managed to beach the boat twice and not have to pull the drive, so it really doesn't stick down all that far. Spent some time figuring out the fish finder, I need to figure out how to catch deep bass, because apparently that's where they're all at.

Here's some more pics from the last couple days.

Tim Nickels

AustinHooker

Postby gazn357 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:36 am

I launched the same place a few weeks back from were you did at P'ville. Man, that spot was slick. Yep, the weeds got me too. Had to paddle past and then drop propel unit.

I did some side imaging recording while at P'ville. When I got home, was surprised at all the fish it found. I just didn't see them when on water because FF was too far forward.

I was going to mount paddle clip where you did, but did not want to mess up my new Crappie.com sticker (did I say crappie :). Placed it on a green cutting board and it worked out well... tucks up close to boat. Going to move FF to same cutting board and give that a try. (Got cutting board from Walmart. Matches boat real well..)

Really like the lights, might get back to you on that.

danny
Native Firebrick Red Slayer 12
Native Lizard Lick Slayer 13 Propel
gazn357

Postby AustinHooker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Here's my next big adventure with the Slayer Propel.

During the Decker tournament I lost my hawg trough out of the back when I was grabbing my net, and my back tank well has always been a cluster*&^%, I just keep everything in a big tackle bag which I like, but bigger stuff falls out and it's a pain rooting around in the bottom of the bag throughout the day to get at stuff.

So, on my drive back from Conroe on Sunday I had plenty of time to brainstorm, what I wanted was some kind of compartment like the front hatch. Or maybe rails I could mount on the tracks to hold more stuff. I decided that a compartment/hatch cover would be cool, especially if I could mount stuff on it like rod holders, 360 lights, hawg trough, net holder etc. At the same time it would allow me to permanently store stuff on the boat that I never take off the boat like first aid kit, hat n glove, windbreaker etc. Then I was thinking I could put separators in it for when I'm shedding outer layers, they could get tossed in the back out of the way, the front could be reserved for easy access to food, drinks, and backup tackle. I worked everything out on the drive home.

I got home and spent a few hours measuring stuff and drawing things out. I also build a 1/4 scale model and learned a lot from that about keeping my angles consistent front to back and needing to leave room for my reels that extend back into the tank well.

1/4 scale model

On Monday I went and bought some 4x4 sheets of thin plywood to create a layout of the rear deck for building on and also to cut out all the pieced I needed and make a template, the template would also become the mold for thermoforming the plastic.

On Tuesday I went and bought a 4x4 sheet of 3/16 ABS plastic. It's a bit thick for what I'm doing, but since I plan to mount stuff on it, it's probably for the best. But, if I decide otherwise, it's now no big deal to go get another sheet and just build another compartment now that I have the template/mold/design worked out. Plastic was about $40, the cool thing is that it has the same texture as the OEM Native plastic hatch covers, so it'll look well matched on the boat

I had a guided fly fishing trip planned for the Guad tomorrow, but it's been postponed because of the weather, and since Lammers was fishing tonight, I went ahead and took off work early. Spent the afternoon at my buddy's house working on this compartment before meeting up with the guys at AHS.

First step was drawing everything out on the plywood then cutting the individual pieces.

Once the pieces were cut, I could assemble the model/mold

Once I was certain all the dimensions were correct, I took the mold apart and laid it out flat to create a template for the ABS plastic. The entire compartment is made from a single piece of ABS, no joints to worry about.

The ABS was great to work with, not so soft that it would melt when cutting, but not so brittle it would crack, everything went pretty smooth. After the plastic was cut I laid it on the mold and then took a heat gun to it to start molding it to shape. Clamps and duct tape helped maintain the shape while it was cooling.

I got the basic box built today, there's 3 extra inches around the bottom which I have to bend out and then drill to accept the mounting hardware to mount it to the rail system. I'm also going to pop rivet the front and rear faces to the sides to tighten up those gaps (may glue instead). Here's how it looks test fitting on the boat.

I ran out time today because I had to go fishing. This weekend I'll get the bottom flared out to sit flush on the boat and trim all the edges to follow the contours of the boat, then get after it with a dremel tool to smooth all the edges. I plan on cutting an access hatch in the face right behind the seat, undecided about a door/hatch there. I am looking forward to being able to put all my rods inside the compartment for transport. I don't think it'll catch that much more wind than the standard crate with rods sticking out and it'll give me a lot more storage options as well. Don't have a lot real estate on the boat for stickers either, so this think will make a great billboard. It's also cool that if I want to change something or make one for someone it's only another $40 sheet of plastic (plus time of course). Anyways, I'm super stoked to get this thing completed and installed, it's going to be one of a kind I think.
Tim Nickels

AustinHooker

Postby HERZOG » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:02 pm

That's pretty impressive. Nice work Tim!
2013 KBF Texas Open Champion

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

HERZOG

Postby DirtyMarcus » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Tim, why dont you cut the sides instead of bending them? Then you may be able to plastic weld them. Harbor Freight sells plastic welders pretty cheap.

Anyhow it has been pretty fun watching you the last year. I remember meeting you and saying how you only fish rivers and only use flukes. Now look at you, a regular tournament junky! [smilie=rofl.gif]
DirtyMarcus
Destroyer of catfish

Postby BigWorm » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:41 am

I give this thread two thumbs-up, Nice job Tim! [smilie=happy.gif]
BigWorm

Next

Return to Kayak Shop