Jackson Cuda vs. Native Slayer

Yak talk here... rigging, transport, repairs, comparisons, etc

Moderators: HERZOG, RedHook, FooeyFish

Jackson Cuda vs. Native Slayer

Postby Fish Finder » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 am

I have been bouncing around the idea of upgrading boats and these two seem to be real close in comparison. I have seen some write-ups detailing the differences but I want some opinions on the pros/cons of each. I know there are owners of both here, so speak up.

Features? Fit/Finish?

Ease of paddling big water? Etc.
The fish are here...I can smell them..
Fish Finder
Central Texas kayak fisherman

Re: Jackson Cuda vs. Native Slayer

Postby SLAMMERS » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:08 pm

I have a Slayer 14. Decent speed, wide open deck, stablility,track system,electronics pod and THE best seat in the business are the upsides. The cons Ive found are noisy scuppers without the plugs in and somewhat on the heavy side. If I had to choose again it would still be the Slayer. You didnt mention wich size youre interested in?....Makes a difference.
SLAMMERS

Location: SOUTH AUSTIN/ Diablo Paddlesports Chupacabra/ Native Slayer 14

Postby NjTexan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Dustin,
You're welcome to borrow my 14 Slayer sometime and paddle it/fish from it.
Bring your yak and we'll switch for a morning/afternoon whatever.
I like mine lots and got it after trying a bunch of boats at last years ACK demo days, but to compare to a Cuda, I can't help with that much since I've never paddled one.
I did notice that the Cuda sits lower in the water so it doesn't seem to get blown as badly in the wind.
But that could just be that Marcus in 'denser' than I am so it's harder for the wind to move him.
Witty Signature Coming Soon
NjTexan
State of Texas kayak fisherman

Postby Fish Finder » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:36 pm

I am looking at the 14' variety.
These are my primary thoughts/concerns about the two boats that you guys can chime in on...

1. I will be paddling big water (ie. lakes, bays, etc) so tracking, speed, is important.
2. I will be standing and fishing/paddling, stability is a must
3. Dry ride, fishing has no off season so I will be paddling in the dead of winter
4. From what I understand the seats are similar so that won't have any bearing
5. Storage and included accessories. I see the hatch covers for the Slayer are extra, Worth it?

And Chuck, I might take you up on that offer. And I won't tell Marcus you called him "Dense" [smilie=stickpoke.gif]
Fish Finder

Postby SLAMMERS » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:12 pm

With the rudder tracking and speed are good IMO. I can do 4.5 mph for a while and 3.5 all day long so its not bad. The hatch was worth it to me, I store all my gear in there and leave my boat fully rigged on the trailer. Standing and fishing is easy enough though I rarely do it, I dont find it neccasary with the high seat. Ride is as dry as I,ve seen, Even on Fayette blowing 25MPH I stayed dry. You really should paddle them both before you can make a decision, Different rigs fit people differently.....you really cant go wrong with either choice.
SLAMMERS

Location: SOUTH AUSTIN/ Diablo Paddlesports Chupacabra/ Native Slayer 14

Postby ChrisPearce » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:33 pm

I looked at both hard. Demoed and decided on the Slayer 14.5 for the open layout. They really aren't the same at all, just a similar seat.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3.
(a.k.a. FJCruisin)
2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12- Ivory Dune
2014 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Lizard Lick
ChrisPearce
2011 KATS Supporting Member

Postby HERZOG » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Uh oh.....someone getting serious about a official return to yak fishing tournies?
2013 KATS Classic Champion
2013 KBF Texas Open Champion

SUPERNOVA FISHING LIGHTS

HERZOG
2013 KATS Classic Champion

Postby Plastic Skipper » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Both are different boats. Storage is different between the two. Im sure they paddle different. Slayer is a blank slate, but I really enjoy paddling it to the point that I dont know if I want to sell it or my mariner to get a slayer propel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Native Watercraft
Bending Branches
Plastic Skipper

Postby DirtyMarcus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Fish Finder wrote:I am looking at the 14' variety.
These are my primary thoughts/concerns about the two boats that you guys can chime in on...

1. I will be paddling big water (ie. lakes, bays, etc) so tracking, speed, is important.
2. I will be standing and fishing/paddling, stability is a must
3. Dry ride, fishing has no off season so I will be paddling in the dead of winter
4. From what I understand the seats are similar so that won't have any bearing
5. Storage and included accessories. I see the hatch covers for the Slayer are extra, Worth it?

And Chuck, I might take you up on that offer. And I won't tell Marcus you called him "Dense" [smilie=stickpoke.gif]

haha I CAN read Chuck!

1. Ive had mine in the some heavy winds and big water a lot. It handled Fayette well in 25-30 mph winds but its not ideal. At Canyon I paddled 8 miles total averaging 3.5mph. On windy days expect 2-2.5 mph. On a sprint I can hit 4.5-5mph for maybe a miles. Tracking isn't perfect but its good enough where I only use my rudder probably 30% of the time.
2. Im not the best at standing but I've done it with medium boat wakes rolling through. Unless you have a Hobie standing is one of those "your mileage may vary" things IMO.
3. If you put in 2 front scuppers its on a little wet. Put in 4 and its pretty much dry. I love fishing in cold weather so unless you have waves crashing over you, getting wet is a non issue.
4. Seat, yea its nice and comfy with good amounts of storage.
5. Plenty of storage built it especially with the center console. They even make a cold bag to drop in the center console to throw food/drinks or your fish.

I really like the Cuda but like Ive written before. I have no issues pointing out its flaws. The rear tankwell has built in tray holders. The idea is cool but unless you are a minimalist they are in the way and pointless. The center console can get annoying at times but its also very nice to have. The built in rod lay rod system is cool and is designed to hold 6 rods. You will never get more then 4 max in there due to leg room constraints. 2 is ideal to have laid down though. The built of the kayak is solid. I treat mine like a ragdoll and its held up well. The lack of a well placed slide trax system sucks and deck space to mount a wide array of accessories is almost nonexistent. It can handle big waves great. Ive been hit broadside by some big waves and came unbalanced but the secondary stability kept me upright........some of that is also experience but a lot of the boat too. Now it is heavy and long so you wont be turning on a dime or stopping on one either. In the high seat position a strong wind will really mess up you day. Theres a huge difference in paddling high/low in the wind, obviously low is better. Contrary to what Chuck says the wind can push me at a pretty good tick, get anchor trolleys, two of them.
You can try mine out sometime just let me know when.
DirtyMarcus
Destroyer of catfish

Postby Fish Finder » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 am

HERZOG wrote:Uh oh.....someone getting serious about a official return to yak fishing tournies?

Maybe?... [smilie=wink.gif]
Fish Finder

Postby Fish Finder » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:29 am

Thanks for the input fellas. I will definitely be paddling both before I pull the trigger.

This is all in the early stages and I'm trying to educate myself of all the little nuances of each craft so I know what to look for when I'm paddling them. I will check back in to see if anybody has something to add but for now, I just need to go paddle a few.

Is there anything on either boat, you really wish was different? Modification wise?
Fish Finder

Postby ChrisPearce » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:33 pm

I wish the front hatch cover on the Slayer came standard. Its worth the cost IMO to keep your catch down on the coast. Just throw a bag of ice in there for those shorter trips. Longer trips, you would probably want something insulated.

Overall, I could not be happier with my decision. The Slayer had the increased stability I was wanting and I love the open layout, but I never store rods under deck either. I do think the Slayer seat is easier to move from the high or low position while on the water vs the Cuda. I installed some Seadeck and its a very cool product.

uploadfromtaptalk1377023070139.jpg

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(a.k.a. FJCruisin)
2013 Hobie Pro Angler 12- Ivory Dune
2014 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Lizard Lick
ChrisPearce
2011 KATS Supporting Member

Return to Kayak Shop